Monday, September 21, 2009

Anyone know the Tippers?

We received a letter -- can anyone help?

Hi,

I am the former editor of the Isle of Man Examiner, Isle of Man Times, the Manx Star, Manx Life and sundry other Manx publications.

I am researching the history of the Island's media and Manx influence on the media elsewhere and it is the latter aspect of my research that has led me to the names of Lillian and Frank Tipper (both snr and jnr).

I believe Lillian Tipper was prominent in the Los Angeles Manx Society in the early 20th Century and probably an official in NAMA.

This is why I am writing to you. My hope is that you can point me to someone who has access to NAMA records that will help me identity the right Tippers.

My interest is primarily the two Frank Tippers (father and son) who were prominent animators in Hollywood. Lillian Tipper was either the wife of Frank Tipper Snr or was related to him in some other way. My educated guess is that her maiden name was Marrion and that she originated, like Frank Tipper Snr, from Douglas, Isle of Man.

My hope is that NAMA may have published an obituary about Lillian or even Frank Tipper Snr.

Do not concern yourself if you cannot help me. My query is simply a long shot.

Meanwhile, thank you for your time,

Regards, Robert Kelly, Onchan, Isle of Man (not your Association President Robert Kelly!)

3 comments:

Wanda said...

Hi,
My name is Wanda Puder. I'm going through letters and articles my Grandfather, T. Donald Bain, wrote. There is an article about Mrs. Lillian Marrion Tipper from Wolverhampton, England, and raised in Douglas, Isle of Man. Her "son, Frank, started his career at Walt Disney's Studio..." I would be happy to scan the article and send it to you as it has information about her marriage and children. I was actually doing a search on the family as his article was quite interesting.
Regards,
Wanda
wanda4u@comcast.net

Wanda said...

Hi,
My name is Wanda Puder. I'm going through letters and articles my Grandfather, T. Donald Bain, wrote. There is an article about Mrs. Lillian Marrion Tipper from Wolverhampton, England, and raised in Douglas, Isle of Man. Her "son, Frank, started his career at Walt Disney's Studio..." I would be happy to scan the article and send it to you as it has information about her marriage and children. I was actually doing a search on the family as his article was quite interesting.
Regards,
Wanda

DavidPabian said...

Hi,
My name is David Pabian, and I'm the grandson of Frank and Lillian Tipper (my mother, Joan, was their youngest child).

I had answered Robert Kelly's original query on this blog in 2011, but for some reason it's no longer here. I had also tried contacting Robert Kelly at Onchan, Isle of Man but received no response (if indeed it had ever reached him) - although I did receive helpful information from a librarian there as well as a nice personal response from the World Manx Association.

These emails and responses all seem to have disappeared from Google's mail server (one of the downsides of using IMAP mail settings, which don't send message "hard copies" to the user's computer), but of course I'd be happy to reconstitute the info if anyone is still interested.

I well remember by grandmother mentioning T. Donald Bain many times, and meeting him myself at a North American Manx gathering. I would love to see his article, generously offered here by his granddaughter, Wanda Puder, and answer, if possible, any other questions she might have about the Fabulous Tippers.

Regards,
David

respond to this blog, or directly to:
david@davidpabian.com