“Around 1765, Deemster Thomas Moore, a senior Manx judge, moved to Rushen Abbey and built a fine country house which became, in 1847, a school for young ladies. This became a country house hotel around 1866 and is the present Abbey Restaurant building. The grounds of the Abbey itself became a fruit farm but it was in the early 1900s that it became a popular visitor attraction with tea dances and the famous strawberries and cream teas”.
“Over the past three years, Manx National Heritage has focussed its attention to restore the former Rushen Abbey Hotel. The new restaurant provides a spectacular destination for eating out on the Isle of Man and completely transforms Manx National Heritage’s visitor facilities at Rushen Abbey”.